Saturday, February 21, 2009

who's a hipster?

I'm hearing this word used more and more in conversation.

But what really is a hipster? Are you a hipster? Am I a hipster? I fucking hope not.

Now I'm not going to say I don't use the word hipster, I occasionally mutter it under my breath when I hear/see pretentious indie kids. For example there's this guy who always walks past the skate park who never, i mean NEVER leaves his house without a short sleeved collared shirt with the sleeves rolled up a little bit and black ray-bans on... that's my definition of a hipster, he probably knew about every band before you too.*

Wikipedia defines a hipster as... Hipster is a slang term which appeared in the late 1990s and 2000's to describe young, urban middle class and upper class adults with interests in non-mainstream fashion and culture, particularly alternative music, independent rock, independent film, magazines like Vice, Clash and Adbusters, and websites like Pitchfork Media

But I'm young, I'm middle class, I like alternative music (mainly alt. hip-hop but still alternative), I like independent film... thankfully I am saved by my hatred of the pretentious assholes at pitchfork.

Now I don't fit all of these wikipedia criteria but maybe I don't need to to be classified as a hipster... fuck it. I realise this article was completely pointless and proved nothing.
If anyone is actually reading this what do you think a hipster is ?

*If you are said guy or a friend of his i mean no offense I'm sure he's a nice enough guy, he just came to mind as an example.

No comments:

Post a Comment